PHP Video: always MySQL with PHP?

php video

Hi,

In this HD video (running time: 4:06), I answer a question put to me recently:

Should you always use MySQL as your database when working with PHP?

Yes, this is a beginners question, I know. Nonetheless, it is a legitimate question that I think is worthy of comment. In answering this question though, I briefly talk about the other database options you have with PHP.

The video:

MySQL with PHP

Note: I am using Youtube’s new HD streaming capabilities as an experiment. This is 720p video so you should have a fast connection to watch it, or some patience. If you find the video is stuttering, just press ‘play’, then pause it and then give it a minute or two to download.

Thanks,

Stefan Mischook

This entry was posted on Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009 at 2:55 pm and is filed under Beginners PHP Articles. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

7 Responses to “PHP Video: always MySQL with PHP?”

1. Stefan Mischook says:

Hi,

I just wanted to point out that in the video I mentioned ‘MySQL Lite’ … it is actually called SQLite.

SQLite is embedded with PHP 5 and is an option for those who may not need all the power of MYSQL AND you want a database that will be consistent across all PHP 5 installations.

… Oftentimes you will find different host running different version of MySQL and that can cause problems occasionally.

Stefan

2. John F says:

Thanks Stefan for your wonderful video clips you send me.
    I have one simple question; ie where can I find resources (CSS, PHP & Javascript) to help me become a top class web designer and developer? or In words do you have videos on ADVANCED topics on maybe PHP ,ZENDFRAMEWORK, JOOMLA etc that can train me to design world class websites?

So far I’ve studied your videos on PHP and Javascript, and l enjoyed them. Keep it up and thanks so very much.

3. mary says:

Stefan

Thanks for the excellent overview. I’ve bought and watched the paypal shopping cart video and so was better able to understand what you mean about using XML versus MySQL for storing product information.

Excellent as always. And the HD resolution is awesome and a pleasure to watch.

Looking forward to more PHP related tutorials!

mary

4. Stefan Mischook says:

Hi Mary,

I appreciate the kinds words.

More on the way …

Stefan

5. Stefan Mischook says:

Hi John,

We do have ZENDFRAMEWORK tutorials – just do a search for them.

Stefan

6. Tom Nutwood says:

Hello Stefan!

I just want to say you Grand Mersi for all your efforts that helped me to advance my programming skills from zero level to developed enough! I like to see your video tutorials very much! Thank you so much!

Tom